I don't know about you, but I somehow can't make my facial expressions obvious enough. I've tried smiling, frowning and making funny faces as hard as I can, as well as long as I can remember (probably since childhood), yet I've never been really able to produce anything noteworthy from my face. Many pictures of me in the past (and perhaps present) have pretty much the same look and emotion, though I swear I really try my best to exert as much of my cheek muscles as possible. (Pretty much why I don't do selfies either)
Perhaps it's not a bad thing though, I've managed to do certain things well with the straight face that I give all the time. For example, I can usually slack off in class because I can look rather attentive (besides when I'm interacting with other people) but I'm not actually paying attention at all, or I'm able to tell some lies without giving myself away (only if I'm not laughing). Straight faces are wonderful too in a sense that I'm able to keep many things from others by giving them assurance. I admit, I've managed to get out of several sticky situations just by trying to make convincing excuses and using my straight face to reassert that "I'm totally serious about this" point.
There's no reason to doubt someone who seems like he can control his emotions, and what more a better indicator then to observe his changing facial expressions? The less you show, the more you conceal, the less you give away. Who'd trust a guy who says that he's fine, but at the same time is trembling and swelling up with tears? People usually pay more attention to those that can express themselves more freely (obvious indicator of "I need help") rather than those who are able to keep a straight face throughout, even though these people might actually be the ones that require more help.
But keeping a straight face is indeed a valuable asset: it allows people to not have to worry about you. I'm definitely not the only one, and I'm pretty sure most people can do it too, but it's so simple to deceive: Just nod, say "Yeah, I'm okay", flash a smile for that final touch of assurance, and then continue to keep up with a straight face so that no one can have second thoughts or make any second guesses.
"Conceal, don't feel, don't let them know."
Perhaps having a straight face, or to be emotionless, is a good thing after all.
No comments:
Post a Comment