Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Post 14: Expectations.

So I collected my Mid-Year Exam (MYE) results over the past 2 days, and it was a rather and tense moment for me, I guess, since I actually tried to prepare myself for this and I wanted to find out how ready I was to continue fighting this battle for the A-levels.

The results collection really put me on a rollercoaster ride of emotions. We started with Economics yesterday, and I was really disappointed when I got my results.

Economics
Section A (Case study): 9/30
Section B (Essays): 11/25
Total: 20/55 (36.4%, U)

I admit that I probably deserved the case study score because I didn't really prepare myself for macroeconomics (which was what the paper mostly covered at the end with at least 14/15 marks) but I was really disappointed with the essays. Not just because I got such a mediocre score, but also because that I did very well with the first part of the essay (8/10) while I flunked spectacularly for the second (3/15), despite me putting in my best effort to write whatever I knew (and I wrote at least 2.5 pages for that). It definitely wasn't a great way to start my day, and I felt really terrible for the first half of the day.

We moved on to Maths after recess, and I wasn't too sure about myself as I was at the start of the day. After the economics paper I really just lost all my self-belief as I really tried my best for this paper (if not the best among all of the subjects) and on top of that I remembered that I missed out certain questions in the math paper that would cost me at least 15 marks without even considering careless mistakes and other attempted parts that I couldn't find an answer.

What I got in the end was a pleasant surprise though:

Maths
Total: 74/100 (A)

My first ever A in a major examination! I don't even recall getting an A in junior high at all so I was really elated. Not to mention that my past Math results have been all failures, and that I scored a pathetic 18/100 this time last year, so it's a really significant improvement for me. Obviously the highlight of my day, even though I wasn't the top scorer in the class but I thought it was okay (:

Moving on to GP!
This was the subject that I had the most confidence in to pass, perhaps even top the class. My results were pretty more or less expected, though I really think I need to buck up on my vocabulary and paraphrasing skills else I'll forever be stagnant in this area hmmm.

General Paper
Paper 1 (Essay): 29/50

Paper 2 (Comprehension):
SSQ- 10/17
Summary - 3/8 (Boo)
AQ - 5/10 (Another first!)
Language - 10/15
Paper 2 Total: 28/50

Total: 57/100 (C) 

(I did manage to top the class with Daniel so yay)


And then the results for day 2!
Day 2 had Physics and Chemistry, the two subjects which I dare say that I haven't really put in my best effort to prepare for and have the highest probability of failing after Economics. Luckily for me, I passed both (and even did pretty well for Physics, though Xuliang sadly beat me by just 1 mark):

Chemistry:
MCQ: 12/20
Section A: 10.5/30
Section B: 18/30
Total: 40.5/80 (50.6%, D)

Physics:
MCQ: 9/15
SSQ: 40/60
Total: 49/75 (65.3%, B) (First pass!)

So yeah, I suppose my grades weren't all too great, they could improve, but I was really pleased with whatever I had as compared to me failing almost all my subjects last year.

My parents weren't too pleased though. They were kinda unhappy that I actually failed a paper and that I wasn't scoring higher than I should be now since I'm supposed to have a 1 year advantage at the top. While I agree with my parents with whatever they said, I just hoped that they'd be slightly more understanding and appreciative with the effort that I put in. But I guess I can't blame them for that since I've already been underperforming for so long so yup.... I made a deal with my parents that I would try to pass all my subjects at the very least, else they would confiscate my phone, but they didn't do it so I guess that's their way of recognising the rest of my results I guess...

I suppose since there's pretty nothing much for me to look forward to for the rest of the year, I'll be devoting my time to academics and hopefully improving myself for the promotional exams. I also want to help the rest of the class do better in their academics because I don't think it's a good idea for them to follow in my footsteps so I'll try to make sure that I can help in any way I can! Perhaps that shall be what I'll fight for this year: to make sure 5C33 moves up together by the end of this year (:

(Yes if you're anyone from 33 who's reading this I'm ready to help so don't be afraid to approach me k HAHA)

加油 for academics everyone! (:


Quote of the day:
"If you fall, stumble down, I'll pick you off from the ground;
If you lose faith in you, I'll give you strength to pull through;
Tell me you won't give up, cause I'll be waiting,
If you fall, you know, I'll be there for you."
Simple Plan - Save You

No comments: